This is my first time ever making Corned Beef and Cabbage. I used a recipe I found on Food.
- 4 cups HOT water
- 2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 2 table spoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground Pepper
- 1 large onion cut into quarters
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket (with spices)
- 8 small white or yellow potatoes scrubbed and cut into quarters
- 1 head of cabbage cored and cut into 10 wedges (1.5 lbs)
- 4-5 Carrots cut into one inch pieces
Combine water , vinegar , sugar and pepper and onions in a 6 qt crockpot and mix well.
Place corned beef and the contents of the spice packet in the mixture
Scatter the potatoes over the top and along the sides
Cover and cook on high heat setting for 4 hours
Remove the lid and scatter the cabbage wedges over the top.
Cover and continue cooking on high 3-4 hours or until the beef is tender.
To Serve care the beef into slices against the Grain and serve with the cabbage and potatoes and carrots with some of the cooking liquid spooned ontop of the beef to keep it moist.
I found that the potatoes were done after the first four hours and removed them. Perhaps place the potatoes when you place the cabbage leaves and the carrots or just remove them as i did after the first four hours.
This smells so great cooking in the house all day.